Hi Emily,

I enjoyed reading your blog post about the importance of interactive and multimedia learning. I totally agree with your statement that limiting student interactions will prohibit meaningful connections with the learning. I see the value in integrating technology, but I also believe the learner-centred approach is definitely more effective than the technology-centred approach.

The video you shared about multimedia learning was very interesting and informative. It gave a clear explanation of the differences between sensory, working, and long-term memory. This was helpful to me because I was having trouble differentiating between the three types of memory prior to watching the video. The video’s suggestions on how to format a digital presentation slide were also very useful. It is common for people to use an excessive amount of words, pictures, colours, etc. to try and get a point across, but this can actually hinder the students’ understanding of the material.

The activity your teacher used seems like a great way to incorporate multimedia learning. By involving her students (i.e. having you grow your own plants), she created a far more memorable learning experience. I love activities that allow students to apply their learning in a real-life context because they contribute to the development of important skills. Had your teacher only used a worksheet for this activity, you likely would not remember it today. This is why making a lesson interactive adds depth and a lasting impact on students.

https://emilybelchos.wordpress.com/category/edci337-blog/